Monday, October 10, 2016

Allie's Baseball Mitt Poems

Reading Catcher in the Rye wasn't an easy task. I'm not talking about the number pages, nor the complexity of the language. Catcher in the Rye use symbolic language all the time, and it takes deep analysis to really understand it. At first, I must confess, the book didn't make much sense to me. The statement the book wanted to show I didn't really get it. It took a lot of class time in my english 10 class to understand it. What really got me through this text was my creative writing piece about the text in Catcher in the Rye. My option of writing my creative piece in a poem format was because Holden's brother used to write poems, so I chose to do it and using his character to kind of tell the story. That's the reason I chose the title too, it's like he's writing a poem in heaven while watching Holden's life in his baseball mitt. Allie knows Holden's situation somehow and telling it to the reader. I did the interpretation of text in my poem, using motifs, rhymes and situations in the book. These are some extracts from the poem:


"Red hunting hat
A cry for attention?
Holden feels lonely
Red hunting hat
Hunters spot someone closely
Or is it just loneliness?"

"Something's changed
A baby bird has learned to fly
A fruit has grown ripe
A turmoil in the rye."
To access the poem just click here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AtJXV_TUdnYgYuRRj1U-E_tp1s9cyirtTqDyHFxahd0/edit

My question to you is, how do you think Holden changed during the narrative because of his experiences? 



No comments:

Post a Comment